Tuesday, October 16, 2012

All That Glitters is Gold Leaf

Hi Dreamers!
It's technique time!!!  Are you ready for the Blockheads Technique Challenge ?!!  This month the lovely Leigh has challenged us to create a project using


Gold Leafing

I have to say this is something I have not tried.    Once you get going it is easier than it looks.   Leigh outlines several ways to use gold leafing.

I choose three of the techniques to complete my projects---


  1. Faux patina using a glue pad,
  2. Solid stamping,
  3. Using a glue pen.  

I made three projects and will do a separate post for each here on my blog through out the week.  Here is how the challenge works.  Check out the tutorial and make your project.  Link it up on the Blockheads Blog here.  The challenge will run until October 21.  For my first project, I created a faux patina using a glue pad.

 Size: 4 1/4 x 5 1/4"

Materials list:
 Feeling Regal Stamp Set from Blockheads Paper Arts
La D'ore Gold Leaf
Tuxedo Black dye ink-Memento
The Essential Glue Pad- Tsukineko
Cardstock: Cream, black, light blue
Crafters Workshop Template - Mini Damask
Spray inks.

Instructions:

  1. I started with a piece of background created with the Mini Damask template and spray inks.  
  2. Trim the CS to size.  
  3. Stamp the large Damask image with Tuxedo Black ink.
  4. Pat the glue pad around the edges of the CS.
  5. Press the gold leafing into the glue.

Karen's Tip: trying to pick up a sheet of gold leafing is difficult (understatement).  I left the sheet in it's folder and slipped the CS under the sheet of gold leafing and gently pressed it into the glue.




You can really see the gold in this photo.  Isn't that just lovely?  The leafing really adds a great shimmer and lots of texture.








To finish the card, layer onto a piece of black CS and a light blue card base.  Really great tech.  Imagine the gold or silver leaf on a Christmas card!  I can't wait to see what you come up with!!  Oh, and did I mention, you could take home a $25 gift Certificate to Blockheads Paper Arts!!!  Yes, you can.  I hope you are having a great day!!  Love ya.
Karen

4 comments:

  1. Hi Karen, Your work of art is beautiful and thank you for sharing this x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that gold leafing karen. It has been many years since I tried this technique and I remember it being fiddly but with great effect.

    TFS

    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Karen! Very elegant, yet vintage!

    Debbie
    ^..^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sensational vintage patina that you've achieved with that gold leaf at the edges, Karen - absolutely gorgeous work... it looks like something straight out of a French chateau - wow!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I enjoy hearing from other crafty artists -- please leave a comment.